ENQUIRE OR BOOKat this Lodge
Loisaba Wildlife Conservation
Wildlife Conservation & Community Upliftment
Tourism for conservation is Loisaba’s philosophy – by staying at Loisaba a guest is actively contributing to the conservation of not only the 100 square miles of Loisaba and its diverse flora and fauna but to the wider Laikipia eco-system. All profits generated by tourism activities at Loisaba are dedicated to conservation of this private wilderness area, in addition to supporting community orientated health, education and enterprise programmes outside its boundaries with the neighbouring Samburu and Laikipiak Maasai tribes.
- Over 180 permanently employed staff members of Loisaba come from the local Maasai and Samburu tribes, while continuous vocational training introduces new skills into the region.
- The local community wholly owns the Koija Star Beds, and they are deeply involved in their running on both a daily and a strategic level. The community benefits through bed night payments
- Loisaba has set up the Loisaba Community Trust (LCT), which is dedicated to poverty alleviation and conservation in the surrounding area. It aims to assist the area surrounding Loisaba Wilderness by encouraging community-driven enterprise and fostering the development of philanthropic based community initiatives.
- The LCT has already granted 61 scholarships to secondary schools, 8 to college/university and two to trade school since its inception in 2000. It has built classrooms, paid teacher salaries and provided education supplies for hundreds of children.
- Situated in the very heartland of the nomadic Samburu and Laikipiak Maasai people, Loisaba also offers a rare insight into cultures, traditions and a way of life that has stood the test of time, providing its guests with the opportunity to meet and interact with the locals in order to deepen their understanding for new cultures and traditions. The communities in return benefit from those cultural visits, as they provide them with the opportunity to trade with Loisaba guests directly.