This property, which is almost 40 years old, was bought by the present owners in 2006. It was rezoned for high density housing development. With the help of local architects, Leach and van der Walt, it has been extensively renovated and extended. The establishment is named KhayaMini, due to its location in KwaZulu-Natal and in Mini Avenue.
- Upmarket fully furnished affordable self-catering or bed and breakfast accommodation with a private entrance;
- Lock up remote controlled garage and remote controlled entrance to the premises;
- Quiet serene area;
- ADSL internet access availability;
- Large communal swimming pool and braai (barbeque) lapa; and
- 5-8 minutes from restaurants and fast food outlets, CBD and Victorian Mall movie theatres, 8-10 minutes from Newcastle Private Hospital and Century Casino, 12-15 minutes from most corporate companies and the Newcastle airport.
KhayaMini Self-Catering is the ideal stay for:
- Tourists visiting the many historical battlefield sites around Newcastle, and other places of interest in Northern KwaZulu-Natal;
- Tourists on their way to Durban via the Midlands Meander or N3;
- Corporate Business people (Karbochem, ArcelorMittal, Dorbyl, Venco, Formosa, Granite Tiles, NPC);
- Patients (or their relatives) consulting the various medical specialities in town and at the Newcastle Private Hospital (Medi Clinic).
Newcastle – the commercial and industrial hub of the Amajuba District and Northern KwaZulu-Natal. Newcastle nestles in a curve of the Drakensberg escarpment, surrounded by beautiful hills and valleys on one side and the rolling landscape of KwaZulu-Natal on the other. It is surrounded by the historical battlefields of the Zulu and Anglo Boer Wars and approximately 90km from the Blood River and Ncome museums.
- In the area is also Mount Prospect cemetery and O’Neill’s cottage where the peace treaty was signed.
- Utrecht – “the town within a game park” is 50km en-route to Blood River.
- Majuba Mountain where the world famous Battle of Majuba took place on 27 February 1881, is 30km en-route to Volksrust. For a small entrance fee you will find a museum, youth lodge, camping and picnic facilities. From the campsite there are foot paths to the top of the mountain.