Sewula Gorge Lodge is particularly suited to small groups of family or friends, or business colleagues who enjoy the informality of self-catering with the benefit of helpful staff to wash up and generally assist.
Accommodation is offered in four en-suite cottages with sleeping lofts providing beds for 8 adults and 10 children. Three of the cottages are twin-bedded with showers and one is a double with a bath and shower. The rooms are serviced daily.
There is a strikingly designed and comfortable main building consisting of a fully equipped modern kitchen, lounge with an open fireplace and dining room with a generous outside deck.
Sewula Gorge Lodge is perfect for spending your days and nights comfortably lazing, reading and socialising, surrounded by the unique natural drama of the Sewula Gorge, the waterfall and the river. Guests can swim in the cool pools and sunbathe on the sandstone slabs. There are clearly marked paths and guides for hikers. The delightful shaded river walk can be extended by swimming in the rock pools and spending time at the Bald Ibis nesting site.
- Of great interest is the Rensburg Koppie National Monument where in 1838 a small group of Voortrekkers escaped being killed by Zulu soldiers by fleeing to the stony hillock next to the iron-age hill;
- There is a steep but gentle walk to an Anglo-Boer War 1899 defensive position with its dry-packed stone ’sangas’ clearly visible;
- The surrounding cattle ranch offers mountain bike tracks, dam fishing, as well as pleasant and easy walks;
- If one wants to get into a motorcar then there is a treasure trove of activities. Estcourt town has all sporting facilities, good supermarkets and other services; and
- The Drakensberg is an hour away, as are the Battlefield sites on the Tugela line and the Midlands Meander is reached within half an hour.