Hiking and walks:
A wide variety of hiking and walks are on offer to suit all tastes and fitness levels.
These range between 2-3km in length or up to 10km. A number of special sites can be visited.
- Visiting the giant Eastern Cape Cycad, a 2-3 hour walk of 5km to visit one of the largest Cycads in the area. Reaching a height of almost 4m, this impressive forked cycad belongs to the oldest tree species on earth. These magnificent trees are endangered and need to be conserved in their habitats.
- The big trees, a group of three giant yellowwoods, hiding themselves in a valley forest. These specimens have been estimated to be in the region of 900 years old, with enormous trunks and giant branches, the hot valley floor has mean that these trees have produced large canopy branches as apposed to their relatives in the Coastal Forests which are taller but with small branches. Enjoy a meander through the forest to view these special trees. Walk time of 1 hour.
- San art trails, a number of sites to visit from 2-7km distance. View the ancient dwelling places of the San, with the rock art they left as a heritage for all of us to preserve.
- Flora and botany, a diverse range of plants, shrubs and trees, Dry Valley forest, Wet Mountain Kloof Forest, Fynbos, Valley bushveld, Karoo succulent are just some of the different types of plant habitats around. 2-12km walks.
Wilderness and overnight hikes:
Take yourself into the wild. Overnight and longer distance walks and hikes, as well as kloofing can be arranged. Hikes range between 8-35km. Contact Rob le Roux at Baviaans Lodge to tailor your hiking to suit your needs. Guided or range free, Baviaans Lodge will assist to make your stay in this Wilderness area unique and special.
More information on Baviaans Lodge:
Warm hospitality, superb country style cuisine and friendly staff welcome you to this stunning lodge built with natural stone from the area. The lodge with its quaint stone cottages provide comfortable accommodation, and an added attraction is a focal fireplace in each cottage which has a special romantic appeal during winter months. We have a total of nine bedrooms which can accommodate up to 22 people sharing in five cottages, offering small groups and individuals a pleasant and peacefull getaway break.
The lodge boasts a superb dining room, lounge and fireplace, as well as country theme pub which is a gathering point in the evenings for discussing the past days events. Enjoy outdoor entertainment in our wooden boma and braai area, as well as a the use of a dedicated observatory with a professional Celestron XLT Telescope for observing the spectacular night skies. Accommodation is normally provided on a dinner, bed and breakfast basis, but self-catering is also available in some of the cottages. We are proud to serve freshly prepared country style cuisine, which is one of the hallmarks of staying with us, and our delicious breakfasts are a treat for all.
- Explore this exclusive natural wilderness on your doorstep;
- Short and long walks;
- Overnight and wilderness hikes;
- Mountain biking;
- Game tracking;
- Flora trails;
- San art;
- 4×4 Trails;
- Adventures, botany and geological features;
- Astronomy observatory; and
- River rafting.