Dannhauser Primary School started as a small rural school in 1907 due to the mining activities of Durnacol Navigational Colleries and Cambrian Coal Mine.
WH Forsyth was the first acting principal and JB Chalmer the first appointed principal, appointed in 1907. Dannhauser Primary School presently has an enrolment of 503 learners and 140 learners in the hostel. The hostel draws learners from all over the country.
The school has, since 1994, taken a lead in the area in all fields and has assisted schools from all walks of life to become self-reliant. Dannhauser Primary School during 2004 received a certificate of merit from the Ukhahlamba Educational Region for “playing a significant role in the transformation of school sport in the region”. Workshops are regularly held at the school, and Dannhauser Primary School is an important landmark in the area.
The School welcomes old scholars to revisit their roots and they are able to peruse their class marks in the accurately kept archives.