“For quiet old fashioned holidays in a very special place!”
Drakensberg Mountain Retreat offers spectacular views, wild weather, tasty food and wonderful walks. Guests can enjoy heated pools and cosy fireplaces during winter. There are also interesting books and board games on offer.
Peace and tranquility awaits visitors at the Drakensberg Mountain Retreat. They offer accommodation in The Vergezient Lodge or The Zonderntwyfel Barnhouse.
Vergezient Lodge is the renovated, extended farmhouse. It is a comfortable rambling building with all sorts of interesting nooks and crannies, cosy corners, numerous fireplaces, comfortable characterful bedrooms and a number of lounges. There is also a dining room with spectacular views, a game room and two indoor pools of which one is heated. Some people think the corrugated iron roof should be painted, but the owner says it is like the road – “…it is just fine the way it is.”
This barnhouse was, as the name suggests a barn which has been seriously altered and extended. Like the lodge it is a rambling sort of place with a wing of bedrooms connected to the original barn by flower filled indoor gardens which also houses a pool. A large harmonious function room is attached to the old barn building which makes this the ideal room for corporate meetings and small events such as workshops, weddings and retreat activities.
It is also the perfect venue for families and friends getting together. Up to 20 people can be accommodated all under one roof. They offer self-catering or B&B with a minimum of 10 people required.
The old barn contains a spacious dining room, lounges and a veranda from where guests can enjoy spectacular views of the Drakensberg. A wood burning stove in the dining room and an open fireplace in the lounge ensure a comfortable stay in the coolest weather.
- The last 15km to the retreat are on gravel road. As a guest put it – “When you are on it you wish it was tar, but when you get there you want it just as it is.” Take it slow and enjoy the scenery.
- There is only on television (DSTV) at the lodge – there are no televisions in the rooms. The television is available to everyone visiting the lodge for issues of national interest such as rugby or cricket.
- There are ‘honesty bars’ where snacks and drinks may be obtained.
- Toasted sandwiches and salads can be purchased for lunch.
Guided walks of the farm can be arranged as well as walks to the Royal National Park and the Tugela Falls via the chain ladder.
- Excellent fishing is available on a neighbouring farm, Sterkfontein Dam and on the Tugela river.
- Mountain bking opportunities are available.
- Drakensberg Mountain Retreat offers excellent facilities for management getaways, small weddings, photograhpic and painting workshops and retreat group outings.
- Interesting day trips can be made to the Sterkfontein Dam, The Vultures Restaurant, Golden Gate, Clarens, the Drakensberg Hydro Electric Power Station, Spioenkop Boer War Battle site, the Voortrekker Monuments and many more.