Richmond House offers accommodation in three upmarket cottages. All cottages are comfortably furnished and equipped with everything a discerning guest could need. Each cottage has its own special ambience, offering a cosy and tranquil stay. Birdsong, shady ancient trees, pristine coastal bush and unmatched views are all striking features of this property.
Both Fig Tree Cottage and Ship Ahoy Cottage have two bedrooms each, with a king size bed or a double bed. Each open plan lounge-kitchen-dining area has a fireplace. The kitchens are beautifully designed and includes an automatic dishwasher, and there is one full bathroom with a bath and shower and an outside hot and cold shower. Fig Tree and Ship Ahoy Cottages offfer the perfect accommodation for a couple or small family.
Sandymount Cottage is a romantic bedsitter with a covered verandah and small outdoor dining table with chairs. This is the ideal getaway for a single guest or a couple. It has a fully equipped and cleverly designed modern kitchen. The bathroom (with shower) is generously proportioned.
*Please note: We regret that our accommodation is not suitable for children under six years; children under 12 pay half tariff.
We want our guests to experience:
- A retreat where privacy and rest are guaranteed, with all comforts provided, yet where guests can determine their own schedules;
- A tranquil, private garden full of birds and Eastern Cape flora – and the best views Port Alfred can offer;
- An insight into the history of Port Alfred’s most significant historical site and ‘the man who moved the Kowie River’;
- A full range of services on site, as well as local recreational activities – including both the beach and river a short walk away; and
- An ideal getaway for a private executive retreat, think-tank or mini conference.
Port Alfred, with its river, beaches and nearby historic country villages, offers a host of activities:
- Deep sea fishing;
- Walks and hikes;
- Game drives;
- River cruises;
- Horse riding;
- Kite and windsurfing; and
- 1820 Settler sites.
For those who wish to simply relax on site, the Richmond House estate offers:
- Garden strolls;
- A billiard room;
- The Museum; and
- A Cape country antique shop, including renovated architectural fittings.
In addition, we can offer:
- A select list of fine dining venues;
- Breakfast, and picnic baskets for day outings (with advance notice and at additional cost); and
- A mini conference facility.
“Wonderful accommodation. An architect’s dream. Kind considerate people. Would recommend to anyone, an incredible experience, look forward to seeing you all again” – Bill & Pat Yeoman, Parkview JHB;
“These two days really felt like ‘heaven on earth’. Thank you for all the hospitality” – Liezel and Henk, Umdloti Durban;
“This IS a very special place. Wonderful gardens. Cottage was wonderful, thoughtful comforts. Thank you for sharing!!!” – Graham, Duncan and Lorna Shelwood, Pietermaritzburg KZN;
“Brilliant cottage, staff; peace – but especially brilliant PEN – Thank you for your concern and friendship – would love to keep in touch” – Carolynne Armitage.