St Lucia Wilds offers self-catering holiday accommodation in St Lucia, South Africa. The owner family also lives on the property. The units are set in a tranquil, informal garden away from the busy town centre, but within walking distance to all shops, etc.
The property is on the banks of the Estuary and all units have access to the lake via a communal path through the premises, units have no view of the lake. The swimming pool is on the lakes’ side with a big garden leading towards the lake. Here you can relax on a lounger chair in the sun or shade. This is perfect for families with children of all ages, single travellers, older traveller and couples of all ages, especially nature lovers and keen birders.
On premises is a fish cleaning sink, a tree house with slide for small children and a swimming pool. The garden is visited by Vervet monkeys, Banded mongoose, Red duiker, Bushbuck, tree squirrels, many birds and sometimes the hippos at night.
The town St Lucia is uniquely surrounded by a World Heritage Site, the iSimangaliso Wetland Park, an ideal base to experience our unspoilt natural heritage in one of the oldest, most diverse reserves in the world. Watch the sun rise over the sea and set over the lake, go on a game safari drive all in one day.
There are three ground floor joined garden cottages and one affordable (budget type) flatlet unit. Furnishings vary from old to new. Units are standard, comfortable, no-frills, very well equipped, clean and neat. Parking is on premises, one bay per unit at carport undercover. Units are serviced once daily.
All units are equipped with:
- Beds with bedding and bath towels provided;
- Cutlery, crockery, pot and pans, cooking utensils, dishtowel and dishcloth;
- Stove with oven;
- A microwave;
- Toaster and kettle;
- Washing pegs;
- Money box safe;
- Own little garden separated by plants with braai (barbeque) facility, grid and garden furniture; and
- All opening doors and windows have insect netting.
Face-brick walls, high pine ceilings, tiled floors, carpeted bedrooms. One of the units has one bedroom and two units have two bedrooms each, own bathrooms, open plan kitchen/dining/lounge areas. Single bed bedroom has air-conditioning and every other room an oscillating fan. The patio sliding door in lounge opens onto own garden area with braai (barbeque) patch of grass and garden furniture separated by plants. Bathroom has bath, separate shower, basin and toilet. The dining area has a dining table and chairs, lounge have chairs and two single beds. Sleep maximum 4-6 persons per unit.
All these units are equipped extra with:
- Coffee plunger;
- Satellite television (M-Net, Movie 1-2, all sports channels, SABC 1-2-3 and E-tv).
- Units 1 and 2 have one bedroom with double bed, other bedroom with two single base beds and two single stack or bunker beds in lounge area. Allow 1- 6 persons in each unit; and
- Unit no. 3 has one bedroom with double bed, two single beds (used as couch as 1 bed slides in under the other) in lounge area. Allow 1-4 persons, preferably two children.
This unit is part of the original house, converted into flatlet. There are six steps to the only door, small bathroom, open plan kitchen dining lounge area and one bedroom. One ceiling fan in the bedroom, another ceiling fan in the lounge and an oscillating fan. The bedroom has one double bed and two single bunker beds, hand basin, money box safe and lots of closet. The lounge/dining/kitchen area has two single stack beds, dining table and lounge chairs. The bathroom has a shower, toilet and basin. Lots of windows and is next to swimming pool with a patched view of the lake. Television (SABC and E-tv channels).
What to bring:
- Food, all toiletries;
- Swimming towels;
- Insect repellent;
- Sunscreen cream/hat;
- Emergency light (torch); and
Outdoor activities and things to do:
- Boat cruises on the lake;
- Bicycle tours (bring own or rent);
- Fishing – Deep sea, surf, rock, lake, fly and drop shot;
- Hiking and walking trails self or guided;
- Game watching (Hluhluwe/Imfolozi Game Reserve, iSimangaliso Wetland Park) self or guided;
- Horse rides (beach and/or bush) – guided;
- Kayaking on the lake – guided;
- Night drives (into Wetland Park (20:00 – 23:00) – guided;
- Turtle tours (Nov – Feb) – guided;
- Visit Cape Vidal/Mission Rocks: Picnic /snorkel /game drive/ fishing/birding, self or tour;
- Whale watching, deep-sea boat based (June – December);
- Zulu Culture/Tradition Shows/tours;
- Read a book, sleep late, relax;
- Swimming in the sea or swimming pool; and
- Visit nearby (within one hour drive) Monzi (Canerat home industry and tea garden, Maywood Plant Nursery, Cancutters exotic bird park), Khula Village (Butterfly breeding house, indigenous plant nursery Manukelana, compost project, hydrophonic veggie garden) and Cheese Farm. Zamimpilo Craft Stall (local Zulu craft and art), Emdoneni cat breeding project with Serval, Cheetah, Wild Cat and Caracal.
- Water: Borehole purified water although bottled water is recommended for sensitive systems;
- Climate: Sub-tropical, very humid hot summers, warm winters, all year rainfall, peak in summer;
- Malaria: no risk area (non-drug measurements recommended). Season starts October, peaks Feb/Mar, ends May. Drug related precaution is your choice and responsibility;
- Permits: Ensure you have the necessary documents for activities that require permits on your person. You are responsible to know sizes, bag limits and specific activity areas;
- Swimming: Beaches are unprotected, no shark nets, no lifeguards, rip and side currents;
- Facilities in town: Pharmacist, a variety of restaurants and coffee shops, supermarkets, a fruit market, curios, clothes, tour operators, estate agents, laundry shops, a post office and car wash.
Terms & conditions:
- We charge a refundable key/breakage fee of R200.00 per unit that will only be refunded after a unit has been checked and found satisfactory after a stay;
- Reservation will automatically be cancelled if the deposit payment is not received by due date;
- No persons other than those quoted for are permitted to share accommodation and facilities;
- Children are counted as part of persons per unit, no extra mattresses/beds;
- All units are non-smoking as required by law;
- No day or over-night visitors are allowed on the premises;
- Children must be supervised at treehouse and swimming pool by an adult;
- Operate air-conditioner unit as requested, manager checks at any time; and
- No pets of any kind allowed.
The following will not be allowed on the premises:
- Plastic wheel bikes/trikes, skateboards, noisy toys, ketties, toy guns, any type of fireworks or crackers and bicycles;
- Quad bikes or motorised toys;
- Noise, unruly and drunken behaviour;
- Litter and cigarette butts on the premises.
- Arrival time: from 13:00;
- Departure time: 10:00.
We used craft items made locally for décor, are in the process of converting our garden to indigenous only, have four large rainwater collection tanks, we have two small vegetable gardens and use plants and home made friendly bug sprays, we use biodegradable home made soap for washing, energy saving lamps and have recently joined the recycling team.
- Low season: per person per night.
- High season: per unit per night, minimum night stay applies.
- Reservation minimum stay is two nights consecutively low season.
- We accept VISA and Mastecard credit cards only.