Tok Tokkie Trails takes you close to the desert’s stunning beauty. Is there a better way to immerse in nature than on foot? Whilst walking, you will discover many secrets of the Namib that cannot be experienced when driving and you will get to feel different aspects of the desert – from mountainous terrain to sandy dunes. Let your guide introduce you to this desert world, relax with a sun downer and enjoy a three-course dinner before falling asleep under the stars.
Character of the trail:
- 2 nights/3 days, accompanied by a nature guide;
- Walking is easy, only carry your daypack (basic fitness recommended);
- The pace is set to suit the guests, with lots of time to marvel and enjoy;
- Small groups of 2-8 guests. Larger groups on request.;
- Closely experience the awe-inspiring beauty of the desert and discover the amazingly adapted diversity of life in the desert;
- Unwind by walking in the vast calmness of the desert;
- A service team cares for you and transports your luggage;
- Trails from mid of February till early December.
Enjoy Tok Tokkie Trails desert luxury and unique open air camp:
Accommodation & facilities:
- Spend unforgettable nights under the Namibian sky in your private stretch of dunes in a cosy stretcher bed equipped with mattress, duvet and cushion;
- Hot bucket shower and open air toilet with splendid vista;
- Breakfast, lunch, sun downers and three-course romantic dinners enjoyed out in the dunes;
- Bring only ‘worn in’ light hiking boots and your personal water bottles – all other equipment supplied.
Meals and drinks included:
- 2 x breakfast, 1 x light lunch, 2 x dinner, snacks as per itinerary, lunch on day of arrival can be booked in advance (not included);
- Beer, wine, soft drinks, tea, coffee and juice are freely available in overnight camps.
- All meals (2 x breakfast, 1 x lunch, 2 x dinner) and equipment as stated in the itinerary
- Beer, wine, soft drinks, tea, coffee and juice are freely available in overnight camps
- Services of a guide for the duration of the trail
- Services of a ‘back-up’ crew
- Walking in a small and personal group of 2-8 guests. Larger groups on request;
- Group transfer to the starting point of the trail – please arrive latest by 14:00.
*NamibRand Nature Reserve park fees (414 N$, stated as per date of print)
- Light lunch upon arrival N$60 per person, please pre-book!
- Lunch packs on date of departure N$80 per person;
- Transfer for late arrived guests to first overnight camp: N$350.00 per vehicle;
- All extra transfers between camps and farmhouse: N$350.00 per vehicle;
- Namibia Tourist Board (NTB) levies/bed levies not applicable at time of print (subject to change);
- Extra transfers are subject to availability and cannot be pre-booked. Please arrive by 14:00.
Terms & Conditions:
- Full settlement 8 weeks prior to arrival, any related bank charges and currency conversions are for guest account;
- Proof of payment needs to be sent through via fax or email;
- Rates quoted subject to change without prior notice;
- No cancellation will be accepted unless given in writing and unless a return confirmation of written cancellation has been verified by Unlimited Travel & Car Hire CC.
*NamibRand park fees are collected by Tok Tokkie Trails on behalf of NamibRand Nature Reserve.
Cancellation policy and cancellation fees:
- Before 8 weeks notice no charge;
- 50 % of rack rate up to 4 weeks prior to arrival;
- 100 % of rack rate up to 2 weeks prior to arrival;
- Non arrivals – 100 % cancellation fees applicable.
Minimum age for children is eight years (child rate applies to children between eight and younger than 12 years).
Own risk and insurance recommended:
We explicitly point out the participation in this tour is entirely at the guests’ own risk. All guests must have a comprehensive insurance cover to make provision for cancellation, curtailment, medical expenses, personal baggage loss or damage, emergency evacuation and also loss of foreign currency. Unlimited Travel & Car Hire CC will not negotiate on any costs where this rule applies and in cases where clients were not briefed or unaware of this policy.
Force Majeure: It goes without saying that we do our utmost to conduct the tour as described in the program; we cannot vouch for it, however. Unfavourable weather conditions, organizational problems, unforeseen events or other factors may force us to change the course of the tour. We apologies for any inconvenience caused.
Tok Tokkie Trails special notes:
- Group size is limited to two to eight guests. Larger groups are possible on request;
- Please arrive by 14:00 because once the group has left we cannot guarantee your transfer to the starting point. Extra transfers will be charged at the current rate. In case you experience a problem that prevents you from arriving in time please call +264 63 69 30 11 or +264 81 124 7398;
- Whilst walking there are no facilities to charge batteries, so be sure to have sufficient batteries available;
- Your guide will speak English;
- Your luggage will be transported to the camps. You only need to carry your personal items which you need during the day;
- Tok Tokkie Trails is an outdoor experience. You will sleep out in the open on stretcher beds in a bedroll;
- All meals will also be served out in the dunes. Under special circumstances, e.g. unfavourable weather, tents are provided for sleeping, this is at Tok Tokkie Trail’s discretion. Please also see the section on the climate;
- Bathroom facilities comprise a long-drop toilet, bucket shower and a hand basin at the overnight camps;
- Fresh water for drinking (from a borehole) will be available at the lunch spot and overnight camps;
- If you have any special dietary requirements please inform us well in advance;
- Rates include all meals as stated above, the services of a guide and ‘back-up’ crew as well as the group transfer to the starting point. Tea, coffee and juice, beer, wine and soft drinks are freely available at the overnight camps;
- For the unlikely event of an accident or a medical emergency the guide carries a radio transceiver and a first-aid kit and is trained in first aid. We strongly recommend all guests to take out medical and medical evacuation insurance with sufficient cover. Please be aware that Tok Tokkie Trails is in a remote location and there is no close-by rescue service;
- Contact lenses are uncomfortable in the sandy and dry desert. Please wear your glasses instead.
What you need to bring:
- Curiosity and good humour. Tok Tokkie Trails can offer you unforgettable experiences. In order to fully enjoy it, you must love nature and being outdoors with limited comforts;
- Camera equipment and binoculars – there are lots of opportunities to take great pictures!
- Comfortable worn-in walking shoes – NOT new shoes, these will cause great discomfort and spoil your walk;
- Sunglasses, sunscreen (at least factor 30) and insect repellent;
- All equipment is provided, including a day pack for your personal things;
- Water bottles (at least 2 x 1 litres). You can buy eco-friendly steel bottles at Tok Tokkie Trails;
- Headlamp (torch) can be useful.
- Light and comfortable clothing, jacket and pullover for cool evenings, rain protection. Especially in the winter months warm clothes, including beanie, scarf and gloves are a must;
- Comfortable, closed shoes for the evenings; and
- A hat or cap for sun protection is essential.
The seasons in Namibia are reversed compared to those in Europe. During the European winter months we have summer in Namibia and vice versa. The winter in Namibia is the cooler dry season, which is characterised by high temperature changes and rare rainfall. Especially at night it can get very cold (June to August down to -5°C). During the day temperatures may rise up to 25°C (but it can also be cool). These are differences that can be challenging for the body. Especially cold fronts from Antarctica can bring uncomfortable weather, although mostly only for a short time. The Namibian summer (approximately October to end of March) is the rainy season and it seldom rains during the other months but winter rain can occur – to be well prepared even rain gear might be advisable. The summer months can be very hot with temperatures over 30°C, so it is essential to pack the suitable clothes. Especially in the winter months, we strongly advise to pack warm clothes – beanies, a scarf and gloves might be very welcome at times!! But rest assured that you will not encounter a grey sky that will linger for weeks.
Please note: The natural variability of the weather can bring about unusual weather conditions.
Character of and requirements for the trail:
The trail is not difficult, but challenging. Fitness and good condition is essential as the trails entail 7 to 8 hours walking. Walking does normally not exceed 10km a day – the pace is set to suit the group. Your main luggage will be transported by a back-up vehicle; you only have to carry a day pack, including a lunch pack, water and your camera equipment. As some of the routes lead through rough terrain and over sand dunes it requires well-balanced and secure walking. Please be aware of high temperature fluctuations, which can reach 35°C or more during the day whilst sometimes plummeting down to -5°C at night, which can cause additional stress to your heart and circulation. It is indispensable and vital to drink enough water. We recommend you to prepare yourself for the trail with some fitness training and if necessary get a health check.