As one of the oldest houses, circa 1880, this Victorian dollhouse was renovated in 2007 by the Marais family to become a prestige restaurant in Sutherland. Originally this was one of seven flat roof sandstone houses used by farmers as town houses to attend Sunday church services. The saying also goes that during the Anglo Boer War women and children from the Tankwa-Karoo area was kept here and the house was used as a hospital for them.
Redolent with antiques and collectables Cluster d’ Hote represents the vision of Johann and Anelia Marais of serving quality rather than quantity dishes. At 18:00 the doors open, serving traditional Karoo cuisine to the very highest of standards. The menu varies of a daily basis depending on the availability of fresh products in the Roggeveld. This provides Anelia, the chef, with a certain challenge in ensuring the flair and superb presentation of their dishes.
Certain dishes have become trademarks at Cluster d’ Hote with lamb shank being their speciality. Other well known favourites include bobotie, homemade chicken pie and Swiss trimmed beef fillet. The focus however remains on variety, the fusion of flavours and combination of ingredients.