Desert Horse Inn:
Nestled in the Aus Mountains in Gondwana Sperrgebiet Rand Park, the Desert Horse Inn commands a breathtaking view across endless desert plains. All guests who overnight at Klein-Aus Vista are welcomed at the impressive Desert Horse Inn.
The Inn offers:
- 14 Een-suite bedrooms;
- Country cuisine restaurant, Wild Horse Bar and wooden deck with panoramic views; and
- For lovers of the outdoors, there is a dormitory cabin at Geisterschlucht which sleeps 10 people, plus a 10-site campsite, both with outstanding facilities in a great setting.
Eagle’s Nest Lodge:
To experience true desert space and solitude, a sojourn at the Eagle’s Nest Lodge, 15 minutes’ drive from the Desert Horse Inn is a must. Each natural rock chalet is built around an enormous granite boulder. Private verandahs offer breathtaking views of Gondwana Sperrgebiet Rand Park in absolute tranquility and privacy.
- Eight open-plan en-suite natural rock chalets;
- Cosy fireplace and kitchenette;
- All meals served at the Desert Horse Inn; and
- Take-away braai (barbeque) packs or breakfast platters on request.
- Several scenic hiking trails; and
- Guided half-day or full-day tours to the Namib Desert horses, the Koichab dune sea and the rare succulent Karoo flora.
Gondwana Sperrgebiet Rand Park:
Every year, following soft winter rains, the Succulent Karoo Desert is transformed by an explosion of bright colours into a carpet of flowers. The Gondwana Sperrgebiet Rand Park is part of one of the 20 most important natural biomes in the world.
This 51km² park borders the Nama Karoo to the east and the Namib Desert biome to the north. It is a landscape of massive granite mountains, dry riverbeds scattered with rocks, and sweeping desert plains. Sperrgebiet, where the legendary Namib Desert horses roam free, is to the west.