The Galaxy is a restored Victorian house built from local sandstone. The house has high ceilings of Oregon pine, large sash windows and an enclosed veranda on two sides. They offer accommodation in a fully serviced stone cottage with three bedrooms, each with its own shower and toilet. The cottage sleeps seven guests. All rooms have heaters and electric blankets to make the winters more comfortable. Linen and towels are provided. All beds have snuggle blankets.
A full English breakfast is served on the veranda.
- Braai (barbeque) area;
- DSTV in communal area (bring your own card);
- Laundry facilities;
- Safe parking onsite;
- Tea/coffee making facilities;
- Television in room;
- Tumble dryer in unit;
- Washing machine in unit;
- Medical facilities less than 5km away; and
- Restaurant less than 5km away.
Things to see and do:
- A visit to SALT – South Africa’s Largest Telescope;
- The Observatory is open to the public from Monday-Friday from 10:30-14:30 and on Saturdays from 11:30-14:30. Night viewing of the stars starts at 20:00 in summer and 18:00 in winter. Booking is essential – +27 23 571 2436;
- Louw Museum – Home of the famous writers and poets NP van Wyk Louw and WEG Louw;
- The Dutch Reformed Church – English soldiers used the church as barracks in 1901;
- English cemetery;
- Jewish cemetery;
- Salpeterkop – The old volcano;
- Golf on the unique oil green, less than 4km away from The Galaxy;
- Snow – mainly during the cold winter months, July and August;
- Ouberg Pass, 40km from Sutherland; and
- Lake with flamingos and a variety of other birds, 14km from Sutherland.