Established in 1983, this camp has been lovingly created from the natural materials that occur in the area. From simple beginnings, it has evolved slowly over the years and has stretched the concept of outdoor living to its limits! Whether you visit Zingela for relaxation or an adventure filled holiday, conference or teambuilding session, the magic beauty of Zingela assures you of a special and memorable stay.
Larney lane is for couples while Hotel and Aloes are more suitable for family groups or friends. The price remains the same for each unit and we book on a first come, first serve basis. Groups of forty can be comfortably hosted and extra tents for larger parties can be erected if need be.
Other accommodation includes the aptly named Riverside Camp, which is within easy walking distance downstream of Zingela camp. The setting and views are unbeatable. The accommodation consists of four en-suite thatched units built with mud, reed and traditional dung floors. This is ideal for a small group of friends. Two units have electricity while two are lit by oil lamp. There is a central simple bush kitchen and staff are available to service the camp and assist with food preparation if guest prefer to self cater.
Activities at Zingela:
- White river rafting: Summer is all about white water rafting and Zingela has twice hosted the South African White water rafting championships. There is an excellent 20km stretch of rapids and pools on this section of the Tugela Canyon including the intimidating Washing machine and Finger rock rapids;
- Quad- and mountain bikes: Zingela offers a unique quad ride into or out of camp;
- Horse-riding: Those keen on things less man-made can choose to go on the horse trails offered by the neighbouring bush camp;
- Paintball: The ruins of the old farmhouse make an ideal venue for the game;
- Abseiling and zip-sliding: The cliffs overlooking the Tugela Canyon provide dizzying abseil sites;
- Birding: A variety of species can be seen on this piece of land.