Sossusvlei Desert Lodge is situated on the fringes of the Namib Desert on the farm Vreemdelingspoort, the most northern of the fourteen farms that make up the NamibRand Nature Reserve. This private reserve is one of the largest in Africa, 180 000ha in extent. It shares a common border of 80km with the Namib Naukluft to the west, and is overlooked by the Nubib mountain range to the east.
The special attraction of the NamibRand is the captivating beauty and diversity of its landscape, which changes from expansive gravel plains to undulating dune seas, rugged canyons with towering walls of volcanic rock and distant mountain ranges. Sossusvlei Desert Lodge is 40km south of Sesriem, the entrance to the Sossusvlei section of the Namib-Naukluft Park. The lodge is built of rock at the foot of a mountain overlooking a huge gravel plain that leads into a sea of red dunes.
- Ten spacious twin-bedded suites, south-facing, consisting of a raised bedroom with steps leading down to a private lounge;
- Inside and outside showers, double vanity units and toilet (no baths);
- Open and covered patios;
- Totally private, with all-glass front and enclosed by stone walls on the sides;
- Air-conditioning and fireplace;
- Personal bar, CD player, compact telescope, stargazing skylight above the bed and various other amenities including (international) telephone; and
- Large communal lounge, dining room, cocktail bar, nature reference library, expansive verandas, upstairs viewing deck with satellite television, wine cellar, plunge pool.
- Guided nature drives in four-wheel-drive vehicles;
- Guided dune trips on all-terrain vehicles;
- Guided and unguided nature walks;
- Excursions to Sossusvlei and Sesriem Canyon;
- Stargazing at its best through a computer controlled 12″ Meade Schmidt-Cassegrain Lx200 telescope;
- Scenic flights;
- Hot air balloon trips; and
- Trips to Neuras Wine Estate – Namibia’s only wine-producing farm situated in the desert.