The N3 Gateway spans from the Valley of a Thousand Hills in the south to Pretoria in the north. It traverses the four provinces of KwaZulu-Natal, Free State, Mpumalanga and Gauteng and also stretches into Lesotho to include Caledonspoort, Puthadijaba and Sani Pass.
The N3 Gateway offers a variety of activities and attractions from mountain biking; fishing; trail running and hiking to heritage tourism; arts and crafts; secluded retreats; health spas, wedding and team building venues. A number of dedicated nodes along the route can provide visitors with more detailed information.
- Makiti at the Roadside/Reitz interchange in the Free State;
- Lesedi/Heidelbelberg Tourist Informationn Centre;
- N3TC Route Help Centre at the Bergview Complex in Harrismith;
- Montrose Travel Centre at Montrose Country Highway Complex;
- Dragons Cave on the R74 between Winterton and Bergville;
- Central Drakensberg Information Centre at Thokizisa R600 Central Berg;
- Woza Woza/Mpofana Tourism Information Office in Mooi River;
- Nottingham Road Tourism Office at the junction on the R103;
- Midlands Meander Woza Woza Information Centre in Howick;
- Mpophomeni Info Office on the R617 Howick towards Underberg Road;
- The Pickle Pot R617 Ungerberg Road; and
- Pietermaritzburg Info Office central and Liberty Midlands Mall Info Office.